HDD Format Choice

Diese Seite verwendet Cookies. Durch die Nutzung unserer Seite erklären Sie sich damit einverstanden, dass wir Cookies setzen. Weitere Informationen

• HDD Format Choice

Hi everybody,
      I'm buying a HDD for my brand new VU+ DUO.
      I wonder what will be the best format to go with: 3,5", 2,5" internals or eSata??
      My issues are: noise & noise & noise, and then ofcourse performance..
      I had a relook 400S and I was incerdibally annoyed by the Disk and the fan noise.
      So if I opt for a 2,5, does this considerabally lower the noise? Does this type permits me to disable the fan completely?
      Is the fan in VU+ necessary for all the componants inside, or can we simply disable it without risking hardware failure???
      Hope that you can give me as detailed answer as possible.
      Thanks for your precious help...
    • 3,5" is the right choice.

Take a Samsung EcoGreen F2 or F3 Series, they run perfect in vu+

This one is a good choice: Samsung EcoGreen F3 / 1TB / SATAII / 5400rpm (HD105SI)
      Pustekuchen ist keine Blume.

Vu+ DUO - 500GB HDD (Samsung EcoGreen F2) - Vu+ DUO - 500GB HDD (Samsung EcoGreen F3)
      Vu+ SOLO - 500GB HDD (WD Mybook Essential 2,5") - Samsung USB DVD Brenner
      DM800 - Abcom IPBox 910 - Opticum HD TS 9600
      Zotac Mag Mini als Medialplayer - Buffalo Drive Station Pro als NAS
    • fan can be disabled only in standby.
      Pustekuchen ist keine Blume.

Vu+ DUO - 500GB HDD (Samsung EcoGreen F2) - Vu+ DUO - 500GB HDD (Samsung EcoGreen F3)
      Vu+ SOLO - 500GB HDD (WD Mybook Essential 2,5") - Samsung USB DVD Brenner
      DM800 - Abcom IPBox 910 - Opticum HD TS 9600
      Zotac Mag Mini als Medialplayer - Buffalo Drive Station Pro als NAS
    • RE: HDD Format Choice

Originally posted by nghozzi
      Hi everybody,
      I wonder what will be the best format to go with: 3,5", 2,5" internals or eSata??
      I had a relook 400S and I was incerdibally annoyed by the Disk and the fan noise.
      So if I opt for a 2,5, does this considerabally lower the noise? Does this type permits me to disable the fan completely?
      Is the fan in VU+ necessary for all the componants inside, or can we simply disable it without risking hardware failure???

definitely the best choice is 128GB SSD from Corsair.
    • RE: HDD Format Choice

Original von xener
      Originally posted by nghozzi
      Hi everybody,

definitely the best choice is 128GB SSD from Corsair.

Paying 350 euros for 128GB SSD disk, in order to place it inside a satellite receiver of 430 euros cost is definitely NOT the best choice. You don't need ultra fast seek speeds (that the SSD offers) in a satellite receiver.

I've put a 500GB 3,5 inch disk, I've set the accoustic mode to the lowest level and you cannot hear it at all.
    • Original von xener
      ssd disk add 0 °C and 0 dB to system noise and heat. its a best storage for embedded systems.

Paying 350 euros to get 128GB of storage can't be the "best" option, especially if we are talking about a satellite receiver that costs 420 euros. 128 GBs is only capable to store about 24 hours of HD content. That's only 12 movies or 12 football games.

Getting a 2,5 inch disk which generates minimal noise and temperature is a good option. I am using a Samsung 500GB 3,5 drive, it adds in heat a bit (causing the fan of VU+ to rotate faster) but it can't be heard when set to lowest accoustic mode.

The fan of VU+ (with or without a disk) makes more noise than the disk itself. Instead of buying an SSD disk, better get a replacement lower noise fan for the VU+.

You can also put an external disk if you care so much about heat and noise. You can even use an external NAS device, since VU+ ethernet port performs really well.
    • ...just my 2 cents...

Since you have got a PC (which you inquestionnable must have, otherwise you would not be able to post any messages here...) there should be no reason whatsoever to put a hard disk into your SAT-receiver.

It consumes power and produces noise, might require additional cooling and so is a permanent nuisance.

When do you really NEED a HardDisk?
      For recording and playback - obviously.

SO:
      when there is a PC already churning its way all over your household, why don't you use it as a storage ??

The VU+Duo is perfectly capable to record to any Windows-based box over the Network as well as to any NAS capable of SMB/CIFS (Windows Sharing) and of course to play it all back !

And PLEASE forget this funny suggestion concerning SSD (I am trying to be polite in naming it "funny" - deep in my soul there would be some other descriptions for that proposal....)

At the bottom line:
      Let a Sat-Receiver do what it does best:
      RECEIVING (and of course recording and playing back at that).

Let a Storage Device do what it does best:
      be out of the way and out of earshot, keep all that necessary and obsolete data we all have accumulated over the years, provide the space for recording of all we never will have a look at again and provide access for all our players we had in the past, have now and will have in the future.

But - and I am speaking out of experience - don't try to force a receiver into a media player or vice versa.

razorback
      quidquid agis, prudenter agas et respice finem.....