problems with files located on VU+ when accessed from Vista PC

Diese Seite verwendet Cookies. Durch die Nutzung unserer Seite erklären Sie sich damit einverstanden, dass wir Cookies setzen. Weitere Informationen

• problems with files located on VU+ when accessed from Vista PC

Hello,
      With VTI 2.0 I have problems to deal with file betwenn 2.1 and 4GB located on my VU duo when I access them from my Vista PC with a cifs network nount (explorer): copy in both direction, rename gives "error 0x8007003A: The specified server cannot perform the requested operation".
      If I try to do the same with a ftp mount, everything is OK.
    • RE: problems with files located on VU+ when accessed from Vista PC

whilst copying from A source, windows is using a temporairy file untill the copying is completed
      using indexing on all discs and virtual memory handled by windows
      thus when c:/ is to small or hasn't enough free disk space it will give you hartburn

secondly you haven't elaborated on the specs of your windows pc...
      is it'd hdd formatted on fat32 or ntfs?
      ciao
      :D keine kohle mehr :D

Hello,

It is a ntfs disk.
      5GB files are OK; so I don't think it is a question of free space on my PC (there is 8GB free on c: )

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 1 mal editiert, zuletzt von gr4810 ()

wrong... ;)
      whilst copying you are (or rather windows is) using the virtual memory
      probably you do not have more than 4 GB memory (thus swapfile) and thus you might double the amount of GB's during copying.

of course windows itself uses some amount for keeping it running anyhu
      for samba/cifs for explorer for many realtime services
      which you can see in the monitor (Ctrl+Alt+Delete)

thus with 8 GB free you might hit the free disc space memory, especially when you also use disc indexing in vista
      but you might call yourself lucky that it is working with FTPclient AT ALL, because I would say it shouldn't have.

the direct way of copying is from your VU+ to a vista-mount without having the double filesize issues in windows.
      ciao

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 1 mal editiert, zuletzt von tonskidutch ()

what does windows do

it reads the filesize
      it allocates the appropriate discspace on it's own system
      it calculates the amount of virtual memory for copying and in some events cancelling
      it creates dynamically thus that allocated space for the file itself and the virtual memory
      (it stores it)
      it starts reading and burst pulse time writing it to disc as virtual memory
      then when all is read it checks whether it has (verify) the complete file copied
      after which it will paste a filejournal indicating the file is on disc and similarly will write the appropriate NTFS flags of that copied file on the disc
      it then clears, hopefully dynamically the virtual space to previous size

windows sucks :D
      ciao

Hello,
      with your explanation I still don't understand why:
      1. files bigger then 4GB work OK.
      2. when I use on Vista a FTP mont (Iexplorer/page/ open ftp site in explorer) the file that had the problem, has no problem anymore.
      3. the file that I can not read from VU+ anymore was copied on vu+ with a pre-VTI 2.0 without problems.

well you are adding some of the info now which your first message doesn't contain
      but even then...

have you replayed the files after vti 2.0 on the VU itself?
      meaning using mediaplayer played them files and hav you seen errors or issues not being regular?
      ciao

Originally posted by gr4810
      Hello,
      With VTI 2.0 I have problems to deal with file betwenn 2.1 and 4GB located on my VU duo when I access them from my Vista PC with a cifs network nount (explorer): copy in both direction, rename gives "error 0x8007003A: The specified server cannot perform the requested operation".
      If I try to do the same with a ftp mount, everything is OK.

please ...
      due to some interpretation errors and or misunderstanding (by me) restate your problem...
      i seem to have a mind-block between your first and third message!
      ciao

Hello,

Sorry, my last post was before reading your last.
      Those big files are not readable by media player (I use my 1TB VU+ hard drive as backup device for my PC).

ah
      I guessed someone was off sync

anyhow
      you are using the VU+ as a samba/cifs mount for data
      thus are making a loop from vu+ via windows to VU+????
      ciao

and at the same time I'll show you a direct link of the hdd from the VU+ in my network

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 2 mal editiert, zuletzt von tonskidutch ()

Hello,

no, I make the loop from windows to VU+ back to windows with windows network drive.

What I have done now to check the file integrity:
      - On the VU+ with the filebrowser extension: take a copy of the file.
      - On the PC take back that copy with my ftp mount.
      - use the file without problem. So there is no file integrity problem.

I have the same problem with Window 7.
      Someone found that Editing software like DVR studio doesn't work anymore with the last release of firmware and their unofficial manipulations?
      Someone found that it is impossible to transfer files over 2 GB and it is impossible to play that files from PC?
      I was forced to downgrade to official image April 2010 to have Vu+ DUo properly working

@cicutina,
      when someone else found a certain issue, it might be his issue only
      so he did something wrong
      I work with many software and with windows and/or linux, never had any problem or issues as you are stating here above.

and as far I can see such issues are not related with the new VTI 2.0 image.

gr4810, didn't answer after his last post and i assume his problem evaporated with flashing the 2.0 once more.
      He probably had a strange loop going on regarding file sharing and rights (reading writing) as a specifiq user.

though i might be wrong assuming and urge gr4810 to give feedback.
      ciao

Thanks for your answer.
      I tried different firmware based on 5.2 official image and the result was always the same.
      Impossible transferring files over 2 GB due to an Error 0X8007003A - server can't perform operation or insuffcient memory ( I have 8 GB RAM on my PC).
      Since I solved switching to old firmware it's not really a problem for me, they work fine and I'm satisfied.
      Apart this problem( that probably as you say it is only a my problem) this receiver is a very good machine, probably the best I tested till now.
    • I have the same problem.
      When I try to play a film in stream from vu to pc with vlc or other software, the player can't read the file. The same if I try to transfer the film with explorer to pc.
      Via ftp I can transfer the file and, when it is on the pc, I can play it.
      This happens with win7,vista and xp on different pc. With linux I had no problems.
      It seems some trouble with permissions, but it doesn't happen with all films.
    • surely you know that there are a hell of a lot issues concerning the windows versions which might prevent large files to be managed
      but when you do have the correct workgroup written in the VU+ (see /etc/samba/smb.conf ) then the VU+ files must be obtainable by any "well managed PC" using the network icon (thus explorer) on your PC

you might copy paste the content of the samba configuration in here for us to check
      though I might add that some windows installations do have the GUEST login disabled because of other security software and when that is the case, you are logging in with a unknown account to the VU+ samba server.

workarround
      what I once in a while do is, make an new login account on the windows pc, with the same account name and password as the VU+ has
      so
      root
      blablabla
      be sure to change the VU+ password also because samba needs a password
      and then login the windows with that account
      see whether you can copy files from the VU+ with the explorer

password change on the VU+ can be done via menu and or via telnet.

ciao
    • This is the.conf file of original April firmware that, as i said, works fine.
      Differently from the last 5.2 firmware, here Vu+ icon in the network windos doesnìt appear but in order to access files i solved simply typing \\box address.
      What about differnce from 5.2 image.conf file and the one I reported below?
      Really I spent hours setting and storing all satellite positions on my external Vbox2 positioner that I can't dare to reset everything and installing the 5.2 firmware again only to check .conf file without to be sure to solve the problem.

Ciao

[global]
      load printers = no
      guest account = root
      log file = /tmp/smb.log
      log level = 1
      security = share
      server string = VUPLUS %h network services
      workgroup = Vuplus
      netbios name = %h
      case sensitive=yes
      preserve case=yes
      short preserve case=yes
      socket options = TCP_NODELAY
      preferred master = no ;(These stop the machine being master browser, which means that it doesn't waste time there.)

[Configfiles]
      comment = Configuration files - take care!
      path = /var
      read only = no
      public = yes
      guest ok = yes

[Harddisk]
      comment = The harddisk
      path = /hdd
      read only = no
      public = yes
      guest ok = yes